The Hotel Presidente was opened by then President of the Republic Gerardo Machado
, in December 28th 1928, in its actual location of Calzada street and G Avenue, in El Vedado
This masterpiece of Arch. TELLA & Son had everything a hotel could expect at the time on comfort and luxury. Steel structures were used during construction, the first two levels stone built and the rest on bricks. It had 154 rooms then, easily converted into Suites and a wide ocean water pool.
In 1981 a 2 million pesos renovation was conducted, adding new services on the ground level such as a bar, a shop and a modern cabaret. A central air conditioning system was installed, providing rooms with greater comfort.
Completely refurbished in the year 2000, this hotel, where famous political, business and artistic figures have stayed, still echoes a bygone era. Meticulous care has been taken to preserve all the historical details of its original construction and décor. Visitors will immediately be struck by the 400 works of art, an impressive Cuban
legacy, housed within its walls.
Located in downtown Havana
, only 200 meters from the famous Pier of Havana
Malecon, on the well-known Avenue of the Presidents and flanked by the Cuban
Cancilleria (Foreign Office), the 10–story Hotel Presidente with its striking vermilion and beige colors is a building steeped in history.